Every report that you build has a motive to answer some specific question. Some sample questions can be -
- How are our major KPIs like spends, installs, acquisitions, revenue trending over time?
- What kind of creatives resonate the best with our customers and give maximum ROI?
The dimensions and metrics required to answer these questions are very different. An Overview report with dimensions - Channel, Country, Product Category and metrics - Total Spend, Installs, Acquisitions, Revenue would answer the first question whereas dimensions - Creative, Ad Type, Creative Size, Images, Video and metrics - CTR, CPC, Spends, Acquisitions would be required to answer the second question. Clearly, the set of dimensions and metrics required to build these two reports are different.
With the latest updates in our report settings, you can now choose the dimensions and metrics that you will use in the report. All other dimensions and metrics for the data sources in the report will be hidden.
Let me take an example of building Overview report and explain how to use this feature.
Turn this on to choose a set of dimensions and metrics to be used in your report. When this is disabled, all the dimensions and metrics of the data sources will be visible in the report.
Select the dimensions from the box on the right by either searching or from the drop-down to add them to the list of Visible Dimensions.
Similarly, select the metrics to add them to the list of Visible Metrics. Once done, click on Create Report.
Only the chosen dimensions and metrics will be available in the report as shown in images below.
Choosing a complete Metric group or Dimension group:
Instead of choosing the individual metrics and dimensions, you may also choose a complete group by clicking on the eye icon next to it. This will ensure that any new dimension or metric added in those group will automatically be available in the report.
For example - Here the dimension groups - Facebook, Google AdWords and Custom Dimensions are chosen. Let's say you create a new custom dimension, then that will be automatically available in the report.
You can also choose a complete metric group, both standard ones like AdWords, Custom Metrics or the user-defined ones like SEM KPIs (see the image below). Again, any new metrics additions in these groups will be available on the report.
- We recommend you create metric groups and use them while choosing metrics and dimension for a report. Learn how to create a metric group.
- Choosing the right metrics and dimensions in a report will avoid any new user in your team getting confused with other irrelevant ones.
- If you create a new custom metric or a custom dimension, please ensure that you add it in the chosen list in the report setting.